Your completed application form signifies that you have read, understood and agreed to these terms and conditions. Please feel welcome to contact us for any clarifications.
- Each programme is structured toward supporting your practice, and extensive consideration has been put into the schedule and methodology. In registering, you commit to do your best to participate according to the programme structure and spirit. If you have specific personal needs, please discuss them with the Mahalaya team who will do their best to help, but do understand that in the resource-poor context of Nepal some flexibility is necessary.
- Any yoga programme may raise personal issues or challenges: welcome this and allow it as part of the process of personal growth and awareness. For these reasons, the experience may be challenging and demanding, and in participating you accept responsibility for your behaviour during the programme.
- Mahalaya offers and draws on spiritual teachings not aligned to one specific religion. The programme may present concepts and theories that differ from your personal belief system, but will never ask you to subscribe to them. In participating, you agree to keep an open mind, and to exercise common sense, discernment, and a balanced attitude in order to fully appreciate the teachings offered.
- It is strongly recommended (and for specified events mandatory) that for the duration of programme, you do not use tobacco, alcohol or non-medicinal drugs.
- You agree to participate in the spirit of a yoga community and with respect for the venue, and will be mindful and caring towards the other guests, staff and location.
- We reserve the right to turn down registrations at our discretion.
- Latecomers may be admitted at the discretion of Mahalaya and the teacher. You are responsible for your own travel to the venue if you miss the group transportation: please keep in touch with us for travel advice if you are late.
- Mahalaya shall always do its best but Nepal is an unpredictable and resource-poor environment, so we are not liable for any failures beyond our control. This covers natural disasters, war, ‘acts of God’, closure of airports, civil strife, accidents or failure to perform by third parties. Mahalaya accepts no responsibility for delay or cancellation of any flights, train, buses or other forms of transport.
- Mahalaya cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage of personal possessions or valuables of the customer. Please have adequate insurance.
In any physical activity, risk of physical injury is possible. Yoga is no substitute for medical diagnosis and treatment. Yoga practice and/or specific poses are not recommended for individuals with certain conditions (e.g., cardiac illness, later stages of pregnancy, post-surgery).
In submitting a registration form, you assume the risk of yoga practice and release the teacher(s) and Mahalaya from any liability claims. You confirm that you are aware of the risks of exercise and understand it is your responsibility to consult with your doctor regarding participation. You have no medical condition which would prevent you from taking part in yoga, have declared any issues which the teacher needs to be aware of, and assume responsibility for any risk or injury you may sustain as a result of participation. You commit to practising intelligently, resting if you are feeling any pain or sickness and to informing the teacher of any previous injuries.
Mahalaya cannot accept responsibility for health complaints that you may develop during your stay, although we will support you where reasonable. Please take adequate medical insurance, and seek qualified vaccination advice before travel.
Payments and cancellations
- A non-refundable deposit is required in advance (the amount and deadline will be specified for the particular event). Your place is not secured until the deposit is paid.
- Some payment methods, such as international bank transfers, have an additional cost which you will bear.
- The date for payment of balance will be specified in your confirmation email. If you book after this date, the full amount is required to secure your place. If payment of the balance is not received by the due date (without prior agreement), Mahalaya reserves the right to reallocate your place and retain the deposit.
- Should you need to cancel before the programme has begun, the following reimbursement structure will apply, less any bank fees for the transaction. We thank you for understanding and respecting this policy.
- Cancellation 14 days or less prior to start date, 0% refund
- Cancellation 15 days – 4 weeks prior to start date, 25% refund of the balance (less the non-refundable deposit)
- Cancellation 4 to 8 weeks prior to start date, 50% refund of the balance (less the non-refundable deposit)
- Cancellation more than 8 weeks before due arrival date, 100% refund of the balance (less the non-refundable deposit)
In all cases, the deposit will either be forfeited or you can make a one-time deferral to another Mahalaya event taking place within 12 months of the programme start-date. This deferral can also apply to any non-refundable balance, as above.
- We cannot offer credit for arriving late or leaving early. There are no partial refunds for any services not used.
- Mahalaya will do its utmost to never cancel a programme, but if for some unforeseen reason this were necessary and suggested alternatives are not suitable for you, you are welcome to move the dates or your payment will be refunded in full. Mahalaya is not however responsible for any other costs you have made related to the programme, including air fare. If a programme must be abandoned or interrupted by us due to exceptional circumstances beyond our control after it has begun, refunds will be on a pro-rata basis for the time not completed.
- Should any unforeseen circumstances require us to modify the programme, we will make every effort to give prior notice and advisory support. Should the scheduled teacher be unavoidably unable to attend or the scheduled venue is unavoidably changed, we will contact you as soon as possible with details of a suitable alternative. If you no longer wish to attend on this basis, we will refund you in full.
- Mahalaya reserves the right to offer discretionary discounts but this does not affect guests who have paid the full price and no discount will become due to them.
- Where twin sharing is optional and you have selected to share, Mahalaya will accept responsibility for the single supplement on an odd-numbered group. This subsidised single-occupancy room will be allocated at Mahalaya’s discretion.
Images and information
Mahalaya retains all copyright licence rights and sole exclusive ownership of the information, photographs and material displayed on its website. We also engage in social media networking, which may involve sharing of photos, videos, etc: if you are uncomfortable with this please just make this known to us via email.
We will not sell, rent, or in any way intentionally disclose personal information that you provide to us to any third party, unless we are required to do so by law.
Additional Ts & Cs for the Teacher Training Courses
In considering whether to enrol for a Mahalaya Teacher Training Course, please do consider that an extensive quantity of yogic material and practice is condensed into 200 hours. This places substantial mental and physical demands on participants, and we ask that you honestly evaluate your physical, psychological, and spiritual preparedness. Please also ensure that the course description, including the yoga style, the lifestyle at the monastery and the philosophical approach, fit with your learning aspirations. In addition:
- An application does not constitute a booking. For the TTC, your application will be assessed for your fit to the particular course and discussed with you. Please complete the application honestly, as a TTC is a big time and financial commitment and so it is in your best interests to attend the one which best suits you.
- Adherence to punctuality and participating in all sessions are conditions of studying on the TTC.
- In registering, your accept responsibility for managing your time, diet, and personal relationships in ways which support your full participation and attendance in the TTC.
- Mahalaya has a responsibility to the profession of Yoga teaching only to certify those students who demonstrate the competence to teach yoga safely and ethically. We support all students through the course, but we are mindful of our responsibility not to certify participants if they are not ready to teach.
Additional Ts & Cs for the Yoga Journeys
Yoga Journeys are carefully planned, but we must go with the flow of the context and environment. This requires some flexibility. The itinerary is to be taken as a guideline only. We cannot be hold responsible for any delays caused by domestic travel, strikes, Government regulations, weather or natural issues. We will however do all we can to find suitable alternatives and to provide the full spirit of the Journey in the circumstances.
The Journey takes us to remote locations, with basic but cosy accommodation, limited menus and sometimes challenging moments. This is part of the experience and you are encouraged to be open to the ebb and flow of this unique programme. Should you choose to leave early however, Mahalaya is not liable to any refund of the days or services not utilised, or for any extra costs incurred after leaving the itinerary.
Tipping of the guide and porters is customary, and we can advise you on this.